Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Sex: You Shouldn't Feel Obligated

Today, I would like to address a topic that was brought to my attention some time ago. I was informed by a friend of a question that you have a choice of answering to increase your likelihood of finding a match on OKCupid. The question is as follows:

"Is there ever a situation or circumstance that obligates you to have sex with someone else?"

This is a bit of a paraphrase on my part, but this is the general idea of the question. I will begin by answering the question, the examining why I answered the question the way I did.

The answer to this question is a very simple one. One that I hope will resonate deeply with you and make you realize that you did, in fact, just read that question and that you are not imagining things.
So, what's the answer to the question, you ask?

HELL NO.

Folks, there is never a time, place, world, setting, circumstance, insert-word-here where you should feel obligated to have sex with someone. This is such a cheap thing to do and probably makes you feel like a tool for the satisfaction of someone's sex drive.

First off, this is making sex into payment for something. You need to give someone sexual pleasure in exchange for a service provided. This is very close to if not the same thing as prostitution, which I'm sure you don't really want to be associated with, unless that's your sort of thing.

I also wonder how an individual can arrive at the conclusion of making you have sex with them for something. Like, how does that work? You had a really bad night and needed someone to talk to? Well, I just did that for a few hours, now you need to have sex with me to pay me back. How could you be so horrible to a person? Do you realize that you are treading the fine line of rape here? You know, demanding sex from a potentially unwilling individual? That's a big ol' no-no in my book.

The implications here are staggering. You're making yourself out to be a creep, untrustworthy, selfish, and, well, a dick, to be frank. And I'm not just talking about this from a guy to girl perspective. This stuff doesn't fly no matter what sex you may be.

If you feel that it is appropriate to ask someone for sex in return for a major favor, then you really have no clue what it means to be a decent individual, friend, or, well, anything at all, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment